Wall Street Journal – Counter Offer Advice
- What were your expectations for the position and where they met?
- What were your starting and final levels of compensation?
- What were your responsibilities?
- Where there any major challenges and/or problems you had to face? If so how did you handle those situations?
- What were your likes and dislike in your previous position?
- Out of these what were the most/least rewarding?
- What were your biggest accomplishment / failure in this position?
- Working for your supervisor what was it like?
- What are your expectations from a supervisor?
- Who would you say was a good boss and who was the worst?
- What is your reason for leaving your current employment?
- What have you been doing since your last job?
- What is the reason for you being fired?
- How would your colleagues describe you?
- How would your boss describe you?
- What would you say is your greatest weakness?
- What would be your greatest strength?
- Describe a typical work week.
- Do you take work home with you?
- What are your total hours you normally work?
- Describe the pace at which you work?
- Do you work well under stress and pressure?
- What motivates you?
- What are your salary expectations?
- What do you find are the most difficult decisions to make?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What has been the greatest disappointment in your life?
- What’s your passion in life?
- What are your pet peeves?
- What do you get criticized most about by other people?
- When was the last time you were angry? What happened?
- If you were given the opportunity to relive the last 10 years of your life, what would you do differently?
- If the people who know you were asked why you should be hired, what would they say?
- Do you prefer to work independently or do you work well on a team?
- Give some examples of teamwork.
- What is your work environment preference?
- How do you evaluate success?
- If your boss is 100% wrong and you know this how would you handle it?
- Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
- Describe a time when your workload was heavy and how you handled it
- What are your strong points?
- What are your weak points?
The New Position and Company
- What about this position interests you the most?
- Why do you want this position?
- What skills and qualifications do you have that are essential for success in the position of ______?
- Would you think that you are overqualified for this job?
- What can you contribute to this company?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you think you are the best person for the job?
- What is your knowledge about this company?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What are the challenges that you are looking for in a position?
- Would you be willing to travel?
- What is good customer service?
- Is there anything that has not been discussed about the position or company that you would like to know?
- What are you looking for in your next job? What is important to you? - Best Answers
- What are your goals for the next five years / ten years? - Best Answers
- How do you plan to achieve those goals? - Best Answers
- What are your salary requirements - both short-term and long-term? - Best Answers
- Questions about your career goals. - Best Answers
- What will you do if you don't get this position? - Best Answers
- Do you have your reference list with you? (Remember don't give it out unless it is asked for).
- What are your career goals?
More Interview Advice
One to One Interview
Sample Interview Questions
What Employers Look For